Ritesh Das and Toronto Tabla Ensemble Present: ‘Sadvyavahar aur Tehzeeb’
Celebrating 25 years of performance and education
The Toronto Tabla Ensemble (TTE) will be holding its end of year student recital at York Woods Library Theatre on November 26, 2016. Performers will be students of all ages from three branches of the Toronto Tabla School. The evening will feature presentations by tabla students at a range of levels followed by original compositions by members of the Toronto Tabla Youth Ensemble, TTE, and the Ensemble’s artistic director Ritesh Das.
When the TTE was established in 1991, the tabla was a rarity in Canadian music. Over the years, led by artistic director Ritesh Das, the TTE has contributed to the Canadian world music scene immensely collaborating on various projects and performances across the country and garnering a Juno nomination.
The TTE, through its School of Tabla, has maintained traditional educational programming for young people, with three studios across the Greater Toronto Area. A selection of the school’s students have gone on to become members of the TTE’s Youth Ensemble, and subsequently its main performing ensemble as well as tabla teachers in the school. In maintaining this high educational standard, the TTE has become a leading institution for training professional tabla players in Canada.
Date: Saturday, November 26, 2016
Time: 5:00 PM
Cost: $20 (includes light refreshments)
Location: York Woods Library Theatre, 1785 Finch Ave W
Contact: Melissa Das-Arp or call 1-888-958-2252
“The evening is about celebrating our youth – we teach them about their past so they are grounded as they build a better tomorrow. Tabla for me is very spiritual and it is my passion and privilege to pass on this ancient tradition and heritage to our young people. This will be an extraordinary night for all.
— Ritesh Das, Artistic Director, Toronto Tabla Ensemble
- Artistic Director Ritesh Das was recently awarded the Roy Thomson Hall Award of Recognition by the Toronto Arts Foundation for his contribution to the Toronto music and arts community.
- The Ensemble has maintained traditional educational programming through the Toronto School of Tabla, with three branches across the GTA, training hundreds of students.
- While the TTE’s School focuses on traditional teachings, their music is contemporary and often features a collaboration of various world music genres
- Read about the history and work of the Toronto Tabla Ensemble
- Listen to the Toronto Tabla Ensemble’s Original Music
- Connect with us on Facebook
- Contribute to the production of our Next Album
For Media Inquiries please contact: